I’m happy to say that I received a lot of feedback from both of those blogs, both through this website and from folks at my local tracks. It’s always nice to get feedback from people you see every weekend, yet never realized they were DirtonDirt subscribers who followed along with my sometimes senseless babble. MORE
All Late Models. All the Time.
Your soruce for dirt late model news, photos and video
- Kevin KovacA convert from big-block modified racing, Kevin is a senior writer and editor with DirtonDirt.com. He lives in Ephrata, Pa.
- Todd TurnerTodd lives in Louisville, Ky., and serves as managing editor for DirtonDirt.com.
- Dave ArgabrightDave lives in Fishers, Ind., and has been an auto racing broadcaster and writer for more than 30 years.
- Dustin JarrettDustin lives in Ada, Ohio, and is the announcer at the legendary Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio.
- Robert HolmanRobert lives in Lynchburg, Tenn., and is the editor & publisher of the Moore County News. Along with operating Jimmy Gray Motorsports, he's covered Dirt Late Model racing since 1990.
- Kelley CarltonKelley Carlton lives in Woodruff, S.C., and is series director of the National Dirt Racing League. He also operates a marketing, public relations and event management firm.
- Michael RigsbyMichael lives in Orland Park, Ill., and serves as CEO and videographer for DirtonDirt.com
It was more than 10 years ago, one night back in the early 2000s, when I was an assistant editor and columnist for Area Auto Racing News in Trenton, N.J. I was at Volusia Speedway Park in Barberville, Fla., covering the February Speedweeks action of both the DIRTcar big-block modifieds — my primary beat for the Northeast-focused weekly trade paper — and the Dirt Late Models.
As I made my way around Volusia’s pit area to interview Dirt Late Model drivers following the evening’s feature, I MORE
BARBERVILLE, Fla. — Recapping the 43rd annual DIRTcar Nationals presented by Summit Racing Equipment with a list of superlatives from six nights of UMP DIRTcar and World of Outlaws Late Model Series action at Volusia Speedway Park:
Best driver: Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn., had four top-five finishes and was the only previous DIRTcar Nationals winner to find victory lane during a stunning week of Volusia upsets.
Best non-winning driver: Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga., who raced only MORE
GIBSONTON, Fla. — Recapping the 38th Winternationals at East Bay Raceway with a list of superlatives from six Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series events at the third-mile oval, which hosted the tour’s first-ever event on live television:
Best driver: No doubt Billy Moyer of Batesville, Ark., the winningest Winternationals driver who stretched his victory total to 23 with a pair of victories despite competing in four features. He also notched a second-place finish and ran at least as high as MORE
Whiling away the highway hours between races often means hashing out possibilities for changes in Dirt Late Model racing we’d like to see. Most of them go no farther than the dashboard, but occasionally a rental car full of DirtonDirt.com staffers hit on something worth exploring.
This is one of those times, particularly with East Bay Raceway Park’s 38th annual Winternationals upon us this week.
After the first full weekend of Georgia-Florida Speedweeks action, our Sunday night conversation MORE